Aging and sex are subjects most older girls don’t want to discuss. The most obvious changes in a female’s body as she ages include menopause. During menopause, bodily changes that may affect function are caused by estrogen levels that are diminishing. Aging can also bring emotions which can interfere with sex.
Menopause and Decrease in Estrogen
During menopause, the levels of estrogen are reduced.
These estrogen decreases alter the thickness and dimensions of a female’s reproductive organs. These changes include:
- Loss of elasticity and a thinning of the connective tissue
- Decrease in the amount of lubrication
- Decrease in the size of this clitoral, vulvar and labial cells
- Decreases in the size of the uterus, uterus, and ovaries
The Impact on Sex
These changes alter the expertise of sex in the following ways:
- The anticipation before orgasm decreases
- Orgasms may be less extreme
- Sexual desire may be diminished
- But, the sensitivity of the clitoris Stays the Identical
Medical Procedures and Sexual Desire
Emotions can affect both sexual desire and sexual gratification. As women age, emotions can be triggered by the fluctuations in their own bodies. Surgical procedures can also alter how a woman feels about her own body. A few examples of how aging impacts sex through emotions include:
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus and occasionally ovaries): This surgical procedure doesn’t alter a woman’s ability to have sexual intercourse, though both powerful emotions about the procedure and changes in hormones can impact sexual desire.
- Mastectomy (removal of a breast due to cancer): A mastectomy can radically change the way the woman perceives her own beauty and sexual attractiveness. Open communication with your sexual partner could help tremendously.
Health Conditions and Sexual Role
Many chronic health conditions can interfere with sexual activity.
Conditions such as arthritis can make sex painful. Heart disease can make the physical action of sex difficult. By aggressively handling your health conditions, you are able to enhance the quality of your sexual encounters.
Perception of Aging
How women perceive themselves as they age greatly influences sexual appetite. In our culture, we are constantly exposed to images of youth. As we get older, there’s not much to reassure women that they are still sexually appealing and lovely. Because of this, women can lose interest in sex because they age. Talking about these emotions along with your sexual partner might help alleviate some of the stress around body image and aging.